Rewritten Paper Reflection

Alina Hadzovic 

12/19/2022

Rewrite Reflection 

Out of the three major assignments in this class, the second paper, “Social Movement Rhetorical Analysis” was the work I was the least proud of. I knew that I wanted to write about the rhetorical decisions in the Schools Strike for Climate movement once the topic was introduced, but I could not have foreseen how challenging it would be to contextualize the information I gathered. I spent about a two thirds of the time we had for this assignment procrastinating, and the final third writing and researching. I had assumed that the writing process would be simple and relatively easy, but the reality hit me hard. Thus, when it came time to finish and submit mu final paper, I felt as though my analysis and grammar was subpar. I wished I could have more time to work on it, but I knew that I had to submit whatever I had. When the portfolio required a revision of a major assignment, I knew I wanted to work on this one; with extra time and effort, I knew I could have created the paper I was proud to submit. There were moments in my original writing that felt unfinished and pieces of analysis that weren’t strongly correlated with my thesis, which I changed in the revision process. I also changed a few wordy sentences that held back from the development of my claims, because they were hard to digest. The points I made were all valid, but they were not written as powerfully as the topic deserved to be written as. 

With this new paper, I am able to proudly and confidently say that what I wanted to convey was appropriately presented. I think that I could have submitted this as my original paper if I did not underestimate the subject at hand, or overestimate my writing and research capabilities. Now, I feel as though my audience has a more fitting understanding of the social justice movement I chose and how old rhetoric can be seen within its values.