Unit 3 Reflection

Alina Hadzovic

12/18/2022

Unit 3 Reflection

I’ve always been interested in human influence on the planet’s changing climate. From the end of middle school, I started researching the effects of increased carbon emissions and how people can reduce their carbon footprint. Last year, in my AP Environmental Science class, I heard about sacrifice zones and was introduced to the idea of environmental racism. We briefly learned about the components and effects of this social and political force, but after hearing about the liberty this final paper had, I was genuinely excited to learn more. 

I began with general research on what caused sacrifice zones, who were the ones affected by it, and what people could do to stop it. It was through this general research that I began understanding the impacts of environmental racism on specific sacrifice zones in states like Louisiana and Michigan. It was very eye-opening to learn the different types of pollutants and how they influenced the health of those whose lives are sacrificed. The research came relatively easily since I was so interested in it. However, when it came to writing the data into a paper format, I found it difficult. 

I put this paper off relatively late, which caused a lot of stress toward the end of the semester. That all to say, I know if I spent some more time editing and revising, my paper would have earned full marks. To be clear, I am proud of my work and know how much time I spent on it; I think environmental racism is a topic not well understood by many, so I was extremely willing and enthralled to be one of them. To associate climate change and systemic racism might be a stretch to some, but I know that it isn’t. Just a few moments online can teach you all you need to know, and I am very grateful to have the opportunity to learn about it. I recognize my privilege to not live in a sacrifice zone directly, but also aware enough to know it is my place to understand.